10 Ways to Increase the Dopamine in Your Brain
Dopamine is one of the brain chemicals which are in control of pleasure centers. It is also in charge of our movements and emotional balance. It motivates us to move forward in order to reach our goals.
Dopamine is the brain chemical that is in control of us being motivated and focused. What is even more, you can increase the amount of it in your brain merely by taking some actions. There are 10 ways how you can do that.
- Say no to addictions. People get addicted because it gives them instant pleasure – drugs, alcohol, smoking, etc. In the long run, these addictions lower your dopamine levels. When people develop addictions, they become less motivated to do something. They know where to get instant pleasure and their mind gets used to it, thus it produces less dopamine.
- Create small tasks. One of the best ways how to increase dopamine is to create tasks and finish them. It doesn’t necessarily have to be something big. Even when we finish the smallest tasks, we become satisfied. It is even more helpful if you create a check and whenever you finish doing something, mark it down.
- Be creative. People who are artists get in an inspiring mood when they become too hyper. Adrenaline rushes and they are ready to create something new. Thus, it is important to be interested in something where your creative powers can show up, such as writing, singing, acting or dancing. Moreover, you can get involved into photography or even auto repair.
- Get physical. You already know so many benefits why you should exercise. Exercising not only helps you stay fit and healthy but also increases your dopamine levels. In addition, when you exercise you also increase the levels of other ‘feel-good’ chemicals, such as serotonin and endorphins.
- Get a streak going. Take a calendar meant for it. For example, if you decided to go to physical activity classes twice a week, mark those days on your calendar. When you go to these classes, mark off those days. In addition, create a task which has to be achieved at the end of the month and each day you should do something in order to achieve it and also mark it on the calendar. Whatever you do, get a streak going and you will increase your dopamine levels.
- Get enough tyrosine. Tyrosine is the main element of which dopamine is made. Therefore, the more you have it, the bigger dopamine levels you get. Tyrosine can be found in such products as bananas, avocados, chocolate, chicken, almonds, eggs, milk, green tea, yogurt and watermelon. There are quite a lot of products which contain tyrosine, thus, even the pickiest eaters can find something to eat in order to increase their dopamine levels.
- Listen to your favorite music. Have you ever noticed that whenever you are feeling sad, you listen to music and you become happier? It is because of the fact that listening to music also increases dopamine levels.
- Meditate. One of the most common addictions is overthinking. Meditation can help with that. When we overthink, we become stressed, anxious and negative. Being mindful and practicing meditation can help you get rid of this addiction. Meditation is also vital when it comes to increasing your dopamine levels.
- Take supplements. If you don’t have enough time to increase your dopamine levels naturally, luckily there are supplements which can help you to achieve the necessary dopamine amounts. Such supplements are curcumin, ginkgo biloba, L-theanine and Acetyl-l-tyrosine.
- Toxic cleansing. It doesn’t matter how healthy your lifestyle is, your organism still has some bacteria and toxins. Endotoxins are substances which weaken our immune system and don’t allow dopamine to be produced. In order to have a needed toxic cleansing, you need to have a regular sleeping routine and eat fermented food instead of sugary and saturated.